"God is within her. She will not fail."

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I have a dream...

So...last week in my Exploring the Christian Faith class we were talking about spiritual disciplines. On one of the questions we were asked what our biggest dream was if we did not have to worry about failure. At first I put that I would love to be a performer. I love to dance and I love seeing plays and musicals. But then once I started hearing everybody else's ideas I remembered  the one that I had. One that my mom and I started a while ago when my grandpa passed away.

After my grandpa passed away as you can imagine my grandma became very depressed and lonely and we kind of started to worry about her. How long she had left. What was she going to do now that she lived alone if something happened to her. Then we got on the subject of what would happen when grandma left us. What would happen to the house and all the land she has. How would we spend our summer vacations if we didn't go visit grandma a few times. Of course, my grandma would split up the land between her four children. That would be the fairest option. When my sister and I were younger we would say how cool it would be to turn Grandma's place into a camp. When my grandpa died that idea kind of resurfaced but I didn't really give it much thought. Until last year when my mom was saying what she would really like to do is make a camp out of it. I kept trying to convince my mother that we should do it, but she was like "no no, we wouldn't have enough money to do that because Ron, Roger, and Becky wouldn't give up their share and grandma wouldn't put it in her will for us to make her house into a camp." My mom is very good at shattering dreams. :( I've been trying to think about this dream more. Putting a name and a picture to it. I've come up with the idea of creating a camp for children in crisis. I think it would be neat for schools to send at-risk kids to our facility for a week during the school year or even a  few days and we would give them exercises to build up self-esteem and self-confidence. We would work on effective communication and positive coping skills. They would also have time to get to know the other students and have fun playing games. Then I was thinking that along with all of that, why not get my other passions involved. Something we could use as exercises for positive communication and coping is doing everyday things that kids love: writing, drawing, dancing, painting, singing, acting, those fine arts that give so many people joy, but don't always have the resources or encouragement to do. After they spent a week there during the school year, we would invite them to come back over the summer for a longer, maybe more intense, visit.
I know it would be very easy to find another place to do this and that it doesn't have to be my grandma's and if I can find another place that would be great, but the real reason that I want to have it at my grandma's is to keep her spirit alive and because it's the perfect location. Her place is quiet, calm, and relaxing.
The name I have in mind for the camp is Camp Caring Hands because I think I want to focus more on kids who are deaf, kids that get bullied for stupid reasons like that.

I know I could do this, but I definitely can't do it alone.

Me and Shelby from handicamp

Me with Mom and Grandma, we're Foxy ladies!
(Grandma and Mom's last name is Fox) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment