"God is within her. She will not fail."

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dear Eugene,

Dear Eugene,

I saw my dad cry for the first time today. Today my dad was informed that his father had died. You...you're gone, but you were never here. You abandoned your wife and children. As far as we know you never repented of that. You abandoned God. My father says he has forgiven you. I have forgiven you. I'm confident my grandmother has forgiven you too. Out of my nineteen years of life I've never heard my grandmother say one negative thing towards you and all the pictures I've seen are of happy times. So I know there were times where you were happy. I believe at one time you were a good husband and a good father. I wish I knew what had happened to make that change in you. I would have very much loved to have met you one day. I wrote you once a long time ago when I was a little girl. You never replied. My father had written you. My aunt had written you. I desperately hope that my father is right and that maybe you never received the letters. Dad says you were a huge coward, but since I'm human and struggle with this myself I understand how hard it would have been for you to apologize for what you did. Despite your past and what you did I want you to know that I have forgiven you and God has forgiven you and neither of us have stopped loving you. You dying without coming to faith is Dad's greatest fear. He's afraid that when his time comes he won't have the joy of seeing you again in Heaven. Even though I don't really know you. I don't know where you were when it came to faith and despite my family's belief that you repenting was very unlikely I do believe that God works miracles and the Holy Spirit wonderous. So I like to believe that when my grandmother's time comes. When my father's time comes. And when my time comes I will see you at Heaven's gates.

Love,
Your Granddaughter,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment